Sydney Morning Herald columnist Elizabeth Farrelly sacked by editor Bevan Shields after five-minute phone call – World News

Sydney Morning Herald columnist Elizabeth Farrelly sacked by editor Bevan Shields after five-minute phone call

The 30-year career of one of Australia’s most famous newspaper columnists came to an abrupt end when he was let go in a brief phone call.

Prominent newspaper columnist Elizabeth Farrelly has made a sensational claim on social media that she was sacked via a short phone call, describing the move as a “brutal king hit”.

Ms. Farrelly, who has worked for Sydney Morning Herald for 30 years and known as an outspoken architecture and environmental advocate, revealed the “expiry” on Facebook Sunday afternoon.

in one article published last night, the publication explained that the decision was made by incoming editor Bevan Shields “after Farrelly had failed to disclose that she had registered as a candidate for the Labor Party in the Strathfield local government elections when she had voted for voters.” I wrote a piece criticizing Liberal and Independent councillors”, which was published on election day, 4 December.

An editor’s note explaining her registration was added to the piece last Friday, although Farrelly had already decided not to run the election.

But this Sunday, Mr Shields – who is currently in the UK – called on Ms Farrelly to terminate her employment, sparking a furious post by the outspoken columnist soon after.

“Today, after a working relationship lasting more than three decades, my time Sydney Morning Herald Ended abruptly,” she posted.

“This termination is due to an apparent lack of transparency on my part, according to a five-minute out-of-the-blue phone call to me from the new editor on the other end of the world.”

Ms Farrelly confirmed she had joined the Labor Party, but insisted her failure to disclose her registration was merely a mistake, not a deliberate plan to mislead her employer or the public.

“There was brief chatter about my potential clinch in a state or federal seat or perhaps joining a local council,” she continued.

“It was unresolved and I was only slightly interested, but on the last day before registration closes… Just to keep my options open, I registered my interest online.

“I was not selected for the Labor federal candidate nor for the Labor Council ticket, so I did not go to the recent council election.”

While Ms Farrelly helped hand out flyers on election day and had an ALP placard in her yard for several weeks, she said: “It didn’t even cross my mind to tell To inform regarding my registration as a potential candidate”, described it as “oversight on my part” – although it claimed that “there was no unknown conflict of interest that my readers should have been made aware of” “.

“I would be dishonest not to admit that this new change of direction put me to death,” she concluded.

“On the other hand, it is time for change and I am determined to change heralds Cruel King – struck in a new opportunity. watch this space.”

In an article announcing Ms Farrelly’s departure, Mrs Shields thanked her for her “long-standing contribution”. To inform,

“The To inform Urban is determined to expand its coverage of design and architecture, and this will include new voices in our opinion pages in 2022,” he said.

“Elizabeth’s registration as a Labor candidate should have been disclosed to us and our readers.

“Their registration makes future contributions very difficult given the close relationship between urban development and politics.”

News.com.au has reached out to Ms Farrelly and Mr Shields for comment.

Read related topics:Sydney

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *