A seven-year-old boy was taken to hospital after being bitten by a suspected snake by one of Australia’s most venomous reptiles.
The condition of a seven-year-old child remains stable on Saturday afternoon after being bitten by a highly venomous tiger snake.
The boy was transferred from Inverell Hospital to Tamworth Hospital after being evaluated by paramedics for a suspected snake bite.
Tiger snakes are one of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world and are often found off the southeast coast of Australia.
According to the Australian Museum, the highly venomous snake can grow up to 1.2 meters and typically lives in watery environments such as creeks, dams, drains, lagoons, wetlands and swamps.
While snakes are “generally shy” and tend to run away rather than engage in conflict, a dangerous tiger snake will “forcefully” bite and bite.
“Tiger snake venom is highly neurotoxic and coagulant, and anyone suspected of being bitten should seek medical attention immediately,” the museum said.
Westpac Rescue Helicopter’s critical care team stabilized him before takeoff.
He is in stable condition.
NSW Ambulance has been contacted for comment.