Social media users are calling for a boycott of Kellogg’s products after the company announced the permanent replacement of 1,400 striking employees.
People on social media are calling for a boycott of American breakfast cereal company Kellogg’s after 1400 of its striking workers were permanently replaced earlier this week.
On Tuesday, the company announced the move amid stalled talks between Kellogg’s and the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM).
Chris Hood, president of Kellogg’s North America, said: “The prolonged shutdown leaves us with no choice but to continue with the next phase of our contingency plan, including hiring replacement workers for positions vacated by striking workers. “
Workers at Kellogg’s plants in Michigan, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Tennessee went on strike for the first time on October 5.
They have consistently rejected deals offered by the business, arguing that they regularly work more than 80 hours each week and deserve a significant pay increase. the latest offer was highly rejected In the vote by the workers on 5 December.
According to Trevor Bidelman, president of BCTGM Local3G Guardian In October: “Exactly a year ago, we were honored as heroes, as we worked through the pandemic, seven days a week, 16 hours a day. Now obviously, we are no longer heroes.
“We don’t have weekends, really. We work just seven days a week, sometimes 100 to 130 days in a row. The machine runs for 28 days, then rests for three days to clean. They don’t treat us that much. Do as much as they do with their machinery.”
Now the air of his issue has come out on social media.
After contacting the company on Twitter with the message, “I need help”, one commenter Tim Kaine told Kellogg’s handle: “You can get rid of a piece of your sh*t CEO who didn’t own 3C’s.” Just 1400 people were fired for refusing the offer. Raise while he continues to make $11 million a year.
“I’m boycotting this company until Kellogg’s authorizes this and someone else is reading this, I hope you do too.”
According to AFL-CIO Paywatch SiteKellogg’s CEO, Steve Kahlen, took home a total of $11,663,852 ($A16.2 million) in salaries, bonuses and stock in the last fiscal year.
Others online have responded with similar sentiments.
One commenter said: “Kellogg’s u fell, Hood is now eating generic brand cereal.”
Another wrote: “Yeah, never eating Kellogg’s again. I eat cereal every morning but it won’t be from Kellogg’s. Strikebreaking is disgusting. ,
A third said: “Boycott even here in the UK. I can never be forced to buy anything @KelloggsUS after this stunt.”
Meanwhile an Australian commenter wrote: “Yes, add Australia to the list. We’re switching to Toast.”
Even US President Joe Biden has condemned the company’s actions by standing up for workers’ rights to bargain collectively.
“Collective bargaining is an essential tool to protect workers’ rights that must be free from threats and intimidation from employers,” Mr Biden said in a statement.
The president said he was “deeply disturbed by reports of Kellogg’s plans to replace the strike workers permanently”.
“I have long opposed permanent striker replacement and I strongly support a law that would ban that practice.”
However, Kellogg’s said the move was never his initial intention.
“We agree this needs to be resolved at the bargaining table,” Kellogg’s spokesman Chris Bahner told AFP.
“Our aim has been, and will continue to be, to reach a fair agreement for our people.”
However, Mr Baner said: “We have an obligation to our customers and consumers to continue to provide the cereals they know and love – as well as the thousands of people we employ.”